Thursday, June 12, 2008

Notes from a friend's funeral ... from Marianne Love

While I could not be physically present at Jenny's funeral, my spirit was there all day ... praying for solace and comfort for her family and friends ... praying for her spirit to be embraced by Heaven's angels.

I've pulled this from Marianne's blog, http://slightdetour.blogspot.com/, as she so eloquently captured some beautiful thoughts and images of the day.

Packed house, pouring into an overflow room at First Christian Church, even if the Daily Bee did announce on its front page above the fold that the service would begin at 2 p.m. at Pinecrest Cemetery. Folks figured it out and arrived pretty much on time to honor the memory of a local angel.

A simple service: reflective words from a college friend, words from a well-spoken minister to a family, powerful lifetime images accompanied by poignant country songs, words from Mangy Moose Acres blog with a focus on Jenny's prophetic Memorial Day observations of May 23.

The sun showing itself for a few minutes from funeral's end and through the gravesite ceremony.

Grace, wearing spiffy, red cowboy boots, being hugged at the grave site by a 7-year-old friend."I'm sorry your mother died," he said to her."It's okay," she reassured him.

A revelation from one of Jenny's classmates, caught offguard by her passing. She immediately sat down and contacted everyone she could think of who means something to her and let them know that she cares about them.

A monument right next to Jenny's grave, reading "Roberta Ann Bostock." Two wonderful young women of long local roots leaving us too soon, lying eternally side by side. Fitting.

The word didn't get out to everyone, but many of us wore jeans. Many wore their "Celebrate Life" shirts. A lasting mantra, honoring one who did it well.Honor Jenny.

Celebrate your life and the lives of those you love. Every day.

3 comments:

Sara K. said...

Again I thank you! I am trying to be there in retrospect and I appreciate these connections to Jen's funeral. -S

IdahoGirls said...

Wow!! What a gift to wake up to this morning. It was the first morning I have woke up and NOT went to mangy moose. I seem to be a gluten for punishment and keep checking it every day - I guess it helps me stay connected to her, but your words helped too! It was amazing to read your story of how you met Jen. I had heard it via Jen and her letters but you did a great job of capturing who she was. Just like I said, just about anyone could have gotten up and shared about her - I don't think there was a person in that room that day who did not have amazing things to say about her. I don't think I will ever get tired of hearing other people's stories either. I wish I could have met you too. It was so nice to see your Jeff - even though we only met for a few hours the day we filmed - it was like seeing a long lost friend when he came into the J"s house. He gave me the final cut and I watched it with my husband in our hotel room that night. It was so great to hear her voice. Pictures are great for capturing her smile, but the video gives you her voice. Jeff told me you have it memorized (even my intonations - laughing) and the funny thing is I do too - Jen's words not my own. I was also blessed to meet Marianne the day of her funeral. I had seen her in the film but never in person. She said she had observed my husband and I sitting on the beach that morning and she had thought to herself "I wonder if they will go to the funeral today." She did not recognize me from the film I guess which I found funny because as I walked through Sandpoint I thought the same things as I saw people - I wonder if they will be going...
Thank you for your kind words. A huge blessing I have received from this is meeting all the wonderful people in Jen's life. One last story - the day she died I got a phone call from one of Jen's friends who lives in Boise. I knew who she was and that she lived here but she shared with me that Jen had sent her an email a long time ago that simply had my name, phone, number, address and a line stating "You two may need each other one day." Always the planner - right? We took a walk that next night and it was so great to just spend that time talking about our friend. Even though you and I are miles away - I just want to thank you for this walk about our friend.

Stay in touch. I will be back to check out your blog too - it looks very fun!

Always
April

IdahoGirls said...
This comment has been removed by the author.