Friday, September 10, 2010

Heartbreak on the Playground

A couple weeks ago Lili Dot and I went to visit Gigi in Chula Vista, just south of San Diego and just north of THE BORDER. We did a lot of shopping, played with her dog Mazie, and bonded with one of Lili's TWO great-grandmothers. Pretty amazing in itself.

One of the things Lili likes best is going to playgrounds right now. And they just happen to have one right near the ocean. Lili is a bundle of joy when she gets to slide down slides and climb up stairs...and it is really fun to watch her begin to interact with other kids. Lately, she says that everyone is her "best friend," which includes people she meets for the first time. This day was no different, however she actually propositioned a little girl this time, who I don't believe spoke a lick of English...here's how the scene played out--

Lili and the little girl were climbing up the ladder together.

Lili: "Do you want to be my best friend?"

Little Girl: "..."

Lili: (putting on a big smile and cocking her head to the side) "I'm really sweeeeet!"

The Little Girl walked off and left Lili hanging.

So precious. I adore how Lili sweeted the pot for the girl, letting her know what a good catch she is. Later Lili came up to me and asked: "How come that little girl didn't want to be my best friend?"

Ah, heartbreak...

No comments: