Thursday, February 12, 2009

Chuck E. Cheese - Adventures in Barneyville




Well, we went to old Chuckie's last week, and lemme tell ya. This isn't your grandfather's Chuck E. Cheese, heck, it's not even your father's. I should know. I am Lili's father and I went with her. First of all, the infamous "pit of balls" is no where to be seen?!?! You remember the one don't you? All the multi-colored balls that you could swim through and hide in! What glorious fun that was. I remember going to one in Spokane, I believe, after our soccer games. The most awesome thing about the "pit of balls" was that when you ran out of tokens, you could always go diving for treasure in there. Inevitably, you would find two or three tokens if you searched near the depths and in the corners. Oh, what fun that was! Made me seriously consider a profession as a deep sea treasure hunter...

And another thing, as I remember CEC, it was more about the games than the actual food, right? I remember game after game after game...and maybe a little pizza here and there. Well now, it's more about the "eating" than the "gaming." Giant rooms are set aside JUST for eating? Can you believe that? Criminal, I say! Think of all the games they could have put in those rooms! My anger is seething! So I must digress... Lili was a bit overwhelmed by all the screaming kids and, frankly, exhausted-looking parents. But then something caught her eye: A Barney ride! Her favorite person in the flesh. And by flesh, of course, I mean a big fiberglass Barney on a fiberglass train. No lie, she went though nearly $10 worth of tokens on that ride alone. In fact, she got very possessive of the ride, and was particularly prickly towards any other kid who had the audacity to try to dismount her! Although we tried other rides, she would get off them before they were finished and look over to where Barney was. "Barney!" "Barney!" "Barney!" And that, truly, was the extent of our afternoon there. Seriously. She didn't want pizza. She didn't want Bob the Builder. She only wanted Barney. Ah...If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. You know, I've really started to like the loveable lug-asaur. What's wrong with me!?!? HELP!?!

Daddy Bock

2 comments:

IdahoGirls said...

Ohhhh the germ-o-phobe cringes at the thought of the "pit of bulls." I don't blame her for skipping the pizza - it is frightening!!! Hang on to the days when Barnie is cool - he no longer is loved in our home... sigh...

Daddy-O said...

Yeah, I heard some kid was lost is the pit of balls and they closed it down...that may just be an Urban Legend...but you never know!?!?! What is Barney's shelf life? 3 year old? Honestly, it's the only time we can relax. She is transfixed by the purple beastie!