Over the past month, I've re-entered the workforce as a new mommy. After being gone from work, it's funny to me how everything and everyone is the same. All the same personalities, political issues, project needs, etc. I even feel the same and sometimes, forget I was pregnant. Although, perhaps that will explain why I am ready to have another baby ... well, apart and aside from the (almost) full nights of sleep this past month. It's as if I left on Friday, picked up a baby on Saturday, and then returned to work on Monday. Except that now, I find hidden formula and spit up on my suits before I leave the house. I find myself checking the blog twice a day to look at pix of Lili. I drink more caffeinated beverages to stay alert. And I have a post-pregnancy belly that I am fighting with running and will power.
When Lili wakes up for her wee morning feeding, I usually feed her, put her back to sleep, and get ready for work. Usually I arrive into the office with a coffee in hand between 6am - 6:30am. Heaven help the poor soul that asks me to stay for a 5pm meeting. At that time, all I can think about is swooping into the daycare, picking up Lili who is usually squealing with delight, bring her home, and commence some super silly playtime.
At work, I feel blessed to have such terrific bosses and projects. I feel challenged and most of the time, helpful. But forever more, I am now a mother who will wonder if my daughter misses me when I am gone, if the daycare comes up with better games than I do, and if I am as loving, supportive, and educational as I can be.
I'm trying out a new 4 day work week with longer hours so that I can have Thursdays off. Unfortunately, there was an important conference call this morning from 8am-9am for one of my major projects. So after dropping off Lili at daycare at 7:30am, I returned home, called into the conference, and put the cell phone on speaker.
"Everyone: please introduce yourselves."... "This is Dr. So and So. This is the CEO. This is Somebody Important #1, This is Somebody Important #2... blah, blah, blah ... to Important Person #25." (These people are important; I'm just sparing you the details.)
Important Person #1, "Today's call is an opportunity for us to discuss the next steps and project deliverables for this department project."
Me: Sip coffee. Pick up teething toys. Replace dirty floor blanket with a clean one.
Important Person #2 "We would like to take a moment to outline some best practices that we think would be beneficial to your organization."
Me: Dump dry, clean clothes onto the sofa.
Important Person #1 "We are in the process of gathering data ... blah, blah, blah. Krisianna, how is that data coming along?" Me, "We have collected 80% of the data and will have it complete in the next week ... blah, blah, blah."
Important Person #2 "Great! Krisianna, we would like to have you lead this project."
Me: Stack bibs together. Fold onesies. Stand back and feel a sense of accomplishment with the well-organized and nicely folded piles.
I think I've accomplished a fair amount in my life professionally and I may talk to a lot of important people at work. But in my life as a whole, my husband and daughter are the #1 Important Persons to me.
Signing Off,
A Mommy Enjoying Her Day Off With Her Daughter
When Lili wakes up for her wee morning feeding, I usually feed her, put her back to sleep, and get ready for work. Usually I arrive into the office with a coffee in hand between 6am - 6:30am. Heaven help the poor soul that asks me to stay for a 5pm meeting. At that time, all I can think about is swooping into the daycare, picking up Lili who is usually squealing with delight, bring her home, and commence some super silly playtime.
At work, I feel blessed to have such terrific bosses and projects. I feel challenged and most of the time, helpful. But forever more, I am now a mother who will wonder if my daughter misses me when I am gone, if the daycare comes up with better games than I do, and if I am as loving, supportive, and educational as I can be.
I'm trying out a new 4 day work week with longer hours so that I can have Thursdays off. Unfortunately, there was an important conference call this morning from 8am-9am for one of my major projects. So after dropping off Lili at daycare at 7:30am, I returned home, called into the conference, and put the cell phone on speaker.
"Everyone: please introduce yourselves."... "This is Dr. So and So. This is the CEO. This is Somebody Important #1, This is Somebody Important #2... blah, blah, blah ... to Important Person #25." (These people are important; I'm just sparing you the details.)
Important Person #1, "Today's call is an opportunity for us to discuss the next steps and project deliverables for this department project."
Me: Sip coffee. Pick up teething toys. Replace dirty floor blanket with a clean one.
Important Person #2 "We would like to take a moment to outline some best practices that we think would be beneficial to your organization."
Me: Dump dry, clean clothes onto the sofa.
Important Person #1 "We are in the process of gathering data ... blah, blah, blah. Krisianna, how is that data coming along?" Me, "We have collected 80% of the data and will have it complete in the next week ... blah, blah, blah."
Important Person #2 "Great! Krisianna, we would like to have you lead this project."
Me: Stack bibs together. Fold onesies. Stand back and feel a sense of accomplishment with the well-organized and nicely folded piles.
I think I've accomplished a fair amount in my life professionally and I may talk to a lot of important people at work. But in my life as a whole, my husband and daughter are the #1 Important Persons to me.
Signing Off,
A Mommy Enjoying Her Day Off With Her Daughter
No comments:
Post a Comment