Monday, August 6, 2007

Baby Vacation! Day One: Hello Kitty, Goodbye Kitty

Where has little ol' me been you ask? Well, don't be silly, you dilly...I've been on vacation, of course. Yup, sippin' Milk Margaritas, putting my little feetsies up, kicking back a couple 4-ouncers of formula and generally trippin the milk fantastic up and down the western coast of the U S of A. Westsiiiiiide! Yes, even a three-month old like me needs to get away from it all and skip out of town once and awhile to see what all the fuss is about. Fortunately, I've acrewed plenty of vacation time so my peeps and me (Daddy, Mommy, and moi--natch) decided to take a road trip up to the great Northwest and visit my grandparents! And lemme tell ya right off the bat...I'm the #1 ranked traveller in my family. How does one come to ranking the travellers in a specific group or gaggle you ask? Well, don't get ahead of yourself, I'm about to tell ya, silly! First off--meltdowns. When travelling in small groups and close quarters, tensions are bound to ebb and flow--that's just the common laws of physics as I'm sure you're well aware which is defined as proximity plus irritability, multiplied by the lack of stretchability squared. Or in simpler terms: M=P+I * S2 Daddy likes to push the peddle to the metal when racing across the blacktop, but with me there, we explored the hidden wonders of the Interstate Traveling Parks--otherwise known as reststops or portapottie pitstops. Pardon my naivety, but I thought they were pretty awesome personally, I mean all the placed we stopped had loads of God's mobiles! Yes, trees! I am absolutely, positively enthralled with all of them. How could you not be? Have you looked at one recently? I mean, REALLY looked at one? All that movement, that endless swaying and rustling of leaves!? I could stare for hours...and do until my parents pick me up and drag me away. Hey, they're a trip, man...I just like to, you know, hang out, and just be, you dig? Sorry about getting all "Tree-hugger" on you, but take a minute or two out of your day today and just stare at one, I guarantee you won't be disappointed! Anywhosers, you may think I'm overreacting a bit, but as you and I know, I really haven't been anywhere but upstairs and downstairs in my house, so my experience with our big ol' world is somewhat limited. Anyway, I slept most of the time, because all my new information is processed best while hibernating. Luckily Daddy was navigating, because while at lunch at the fabulous Q'doba in Stockton, CA--my father was pontificating about the prospect of heading into Sacramento, Mommy declared that she had "spent time in Sacramento..." and that they had already passed through it. Daddy gave her a funny look, but Mommy was adamant. "Stockton is north of Sac-town," she declared "need I remind you...I spent time there." Daddy pulled out the map: Stockton. Sacamento. Redding. South to North, in that order. Oops. Well, nobody can be wrong with more gusto and authority than Mommy--she's my hero! :) And with that, after a successful drive up I-5 we stopped in Redding, CA and stayed at the HoJo by the highway....Double OOPS! (For the record, when someone says "HoJo, Redding, CA"--just say "HoNo") Hey it wasn't all bad, I did get to sleep in a dresser drawer! Whoo-hoo! I'm crossing that off my list! Needless to say, Mommy and Daddy didn't get much rest and I smelled of socks and cheap aftershave. Yes, tempers were rising and it all came to loggerheads that morning when my parents fought over who was going to drive--mind you, not who was going to ride shotgun and relax--but who got to drive. They're nutz, but lovable ones, I tell ya. Anyways, Mommy showed how serious she was by getting out of the car, ripping off the Hello Kitty antennae ball topper, and launching across the empty parking lot. Bounce. Bounce. Bounce. Roooooooll. Stop. That sure showed Daddy! It really did, cuz I thought I saw a tear trickle out. "I bought that for you...and you're just going to leave it here...in the middle of nowhere?" Daddy said. They looked into each other's eyes and suddenly realization flashed across their faces. Instantly, they fell in love all over again. The early morning sunlight cast a brilliant glow across the vacant lot as Mommy walked briskly to pick up the scuffed topper and place it back in the car. No further words were spoken. None were necessary. Sometime actions speak louder than words...like when I spew all over myself...it just means I'm soooo tired of wearing an outfit. So, all was well in our world once again. Mommy was at the wheel, Daddy in back with me, and away we go...next stop, Tillimook! Cheese, glorious cheese!

Happy Trails,

Lili Dot

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey! we need a new picture!!! MIss ya lili- hope to see you soon
sasha