Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Grass is Always Greener...






...on the other side of the condo.


"A child said what is the grass? fetching it to me with full hands;

How could I answer the child? I do not know what it is any more than he."

~Walt Whitman


I admit, I know nothing of grass, of seed, of watering, other than what is printed on the back of a bag of seeds.


I admit, I have failed, once, twice, thrice, too many.


I admit, I have felt the joy of young sprouts, the dew of the day blending my soul most serenely, only to curse the morning when dirt reigns once again.


I admit, it has been a constant struggle, one that has confounded my own father, my wife, my daughter.


I admit, I am no green-thumb, though I try, and plead, and pray, this grass simply will not grow!


I admit, I bought sod.


Take a look for yourself at our beautiful lawn. I can't tell you the number of times we dug this up and planted new seeds. Too many times. Krisianna kept whispering in my ear, "sod." And finally, we did it. Lili was so cute picking out the clumps of wayward grass and helping put them in the trash. It was the first time I realized, "Hey, if she can do this, she can do housework, too! Cool!" She is our little landscaper. In fact, she liked doing it so much, once we got all the sod in, she immediately tried to pull in out of the ground. Hey, she has a vision...and we can't get in her way.


UPDATE: Truth be told, the sod is starting to thin...someone help!!! If this doesn't take hold, our daughter is going to get a giant sandbox. I'm sure our kitty will LOVE that. Beware of buried treasure, Lili!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so sorry about your grass...but you know artificial grass has come a long, long way! My brother in law has it in the same size area as you and you would never know.
http://synlawn.com/artificial_grass_products/lawn_landscape/kids#close

MLove said...

Move north; the dirt is superior. :)